Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband is Canadian, but qualifies for a SSN. He is currently applying for a SSN with his permanent resident card. What if we don't receive it in time?

Covid has really slowed processing times and SSA availably.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

My husband is Canadian, but qualifies for a SSN. He is currently applying for a SSN with his permanent resident card. What if we don't receive it in time?

Unfortunately, to file a return electronically, the IRS requires a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for each person(s) listed on your return.

If he has an ITIN, you could file jointly with his ITIN and then amend using IRS Form 1040X, the return using his SSN as soon as it is received in order to get additional credits you may be entitled to at the time.

To file jointly on a Form 1040, he will be making the election for him to report worldwide income on the US return as taxable to him in the US since he will be filing with his US citizen spouse.

If he has already applied for a social security number and has not received it yet, you still cannot e-file your return if you are filing jointly. You must either wait until you receive the number and then e-file, or you must file on paper and follow the IRS 1040 instructions for this. A SSN or ITIN must be listed for each person on the return to be able to file electronically.

If he applies soon, he might be able to receive it before the April 15 filing deadline.  If it nears the filing deadline and it has not been received, you could each file an extension, IRS Form 4868 to extend your filing deadline until October 15, 2021 and then file the return when the ssn arrives, but before that extended filing deadline.

hi ... i am in a similar situatiion. However, i did not understand the last paragraph: "If he applies soon, he might be able to receive it before the April 15 filing deadline.  If it nears the filing deadline and it has not been received, you could each file an extension, IRS Form 4868 to extend your filing deadline until October 15, 2021 and then file the return when the ssn arrives, but before that extended filing deadline."

Do we both need to file an extension - or just one jointly? if separate extensions are required, how does the Canadian spouse file an extension without a SSN?

If you are filing married filing jointly, then you can't file separate returns while your husband waits for his SSN.  You can apply for an automatic extension while you wait.  Here is a TurboTax article about extensions.

The extension is on the whole tax return, which includes both of you.  You both file one joint extension for your one MFJ tax return.  You can file the extension under your SSN.

@saeedanwar101

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies