shakti29

My husband did not work 2016, should I file joint ? should i have to show he and my daughter are dependent?

he was primary but now his wife primary so how can I change info?

MichaelMc

Your spouse is never your dependent for tax purposes; he or she is your spouse. Dependents are children or other relatives that you and/or your spouse can claim because they meet certain tests as to relationship, support, living in your household, etc.

In most cases it is better for a married couple to choose Married Filing Jointly filing status, even if one spouse had little or no income. This allows you the possibility of claiming several tax credits that are disallowed to Married Filing Separately filers. In addition, you benefit from the higher $12,600 Standard Deduction and both (your and your spouse's) $4,050 Personal Exemptions.

For more information, please see IRS Pub. 501 Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information.

MichaelMc

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing