Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kghill37

My husband and I have not lived together for over 3 years and have filed separately every year since. This year Turbotax is asking me questions if he earned interest.

We are no contact. How should I answer and will it affect his taxes?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

My husband and I have not lived together for over 3 years and have filed separately every year since. This year Turbotax is asking me questions if he earned interest.

If you do not know whether he had interest income, answer "No".  Your answer won't affect his taxes.

The program is asking this question to help decide if you and your husband have interest income that needs to be allocated between the two of you. Examples of this would be interest on a joint checking account or investment portfolio. If you don't know the answer, it is best to proceed as if there isn't any such income that needs to be allocated.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

If you do not know whether he had interest income, answer "No".  Your answer won't affect his taxes.

The program is asking this question to help decide if you and your husband have interest income that needs to be allocated between the two of you. Examples of this would be interest on a joint checking account or investment portfolio. If you don't know the answer, it is best to proceed as if there isn't any such income that needs to be allocated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies