turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

my first RMD distribution from my 401k being a New York resident

(my first RMD distribution from my 401k being a New York resident)

Question, in 2025, I will be receiving my first RMD distribution from my traditional 401k employment benefit being 73 years old. My employment Benefit Center advises my I can have my RMD - Federal tax from my 401k withheld by them and they will make payment to the IRS. However, they do not withhold New York State tax due on the distribution, they require I do that myself.  Question: I do not plan on requesting my first RMD payment until Oct/Nov of 2025.  Once my RMD payment is requested  it will take about five days to hit my checking bank account, can I at that time Oct/Nov just make a estimated tax payment to New York State Dept. of Finance (on their web) to satisfy the tax due? Will I be compliant doing it in that method? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Yes.  You can wait until you have received your RMD and then make an estimated payment to New York online.   You will be compliant if you do as you described.  To make a New York estimated tax payment online, click on the following link:  Pay New York Estimated Tax 

For additional information on paying New York estimated tax, see the following  Estimated taxes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Am I correct I do not need to make a estimated tax payment in New York until I actually receive my RMD distribution in Oct/Nov? and no late penalty will apply? thanks again!   

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct.  Estimated tax payments, when necessary are made quarterly according to income received and the estimated tax on that income.  The payment due date of  the fourth quarter is January 15th.  The only penalty for not making an estimated tax payment is really just an interest charge on the amount that should have been paid, but only if you owe tax when you file.  There is no penalty for not making an estimated payment.  If you have enough withheld from other sources, or don't owe any tax, no estimated tax payments  are necessary.  If you do make a fourth quarter estimated tax payment, you should do so on or before January 15, of 2026.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies