turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jaicoba

My federal tax was rejected because my AGI does not match what the IRS has on record. What number do they have if this is my first time filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

My federal tax was rejected because my AGI does not match what the IRS has on record. What number do they have if this is my first time filing?

If you are a first-time filer over the age of 16, simply enter 0 (zero) as your prior-year income for signature purposes. 

From the IRS article If this is the first time that you've filed a federal tax return and you are single, here's what you...

Todd's advice is valid even if you're not a first time filer.  My 2020 fed return was rejected twice, even though the 2019 AGI I entered was consistent with the IRS transcript I obtained.  TT Tech Support encouraged me to simply enter "0" rather than an actual number, and the return was accepted by the IRS on the third try.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies