Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My federal tax due increased by 387 for no reason while I was working on my return. Why did it do this?

I was working on the section of property rental for vehicle deduction. I had changed the election from Standard Mileage Deduction to Itemized Mileage Deduction. (My total miles driven was 5). Suddenly the federal tax due went up by 387 dollars. I changed the election back and it stayed at the increased level, even though I had logged in multipled times for the past 2 days when the amount due was lower. Why did it suddenly change??
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

My federal tax due increased by 387 for no reason while I was working on my return. Why did it do this?

If you are saying the amount you owe went up when you chose to use actual expenses rather than the standard mileage rate for vehicle expenses. it probably means that calculating the standard mileage rate is more beneficial for you than taking actual expenses.

However, that being said, those numbers can change while you are working on your return, and really are just an estimate until you are completely finished with the return and have gone through the Review at the end of the return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The thing is, I had already used the Review button, and had started and deleted  another state return a few times, and the amount due had stayed  the same ALL THROUGH THAT. Which makes me feel like someone is manipulating the figures. All I think I can do now is  delete the entire return and start over to see if I get the same result, or do it on a different tax return site. The increase came out of nowhere and made NO sense, and did not go back to what it was after I changed the mileage back to standard. Very creepy.

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

No one at TurboTax has access to your return.  TurboTax just provides a platform for taxpayers to prepare a return.

I suggest that you delete the related vehicle (rather than clearing the entire return) and start entering the vehicle information again.

If there is no assets that are being depreciated or amortized on your rental royalty schedule, you can delete that schedule E entirely and start over on that section.

Here are the steps to delete your Schedule E, if the above applies:  

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions. (Schedule E)

You also should delete cookies on your browser or try another browser.  To delete cookies, please follow this link:  Delete Cookies

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies