My federal return came in less than half of what I...

My federal return came in less than half of what I was expecting and my state return was completely taken, yet I don’t know of any debts I owe.

Anonymous
Not applicable

we can't see your return and have no way of knowing if the difference was errors in the return or the refund was taken for debts owed.   anyway in 2-3 weeks you should get a notice explaining  what happened. 

For non-IRS debts, you can contact the Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) directly at (800) 304-3107 to find out if there is a pending offset of your refund and for how much. In addition, you will get an explanatory letter from the BFS if your refund is offset.

You probably filed an incorrect return and the IRS and state agency made corrections for you.
OR

you owe back taxes.