Solved: My ex claimed my minor daughter who lives with me how do I stop him from getting it

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My ex claimed my minor daughter who lives with me how do I stop him from getting it

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My ex claimed my minor daughter who lives with me how do I stop him from getting it

You'll file a paper return and claim the child as a dependent (the IRS will reject an e-filed return once her SSN has appeared on another return).  Then, since two returns are showing her as a dependent, the IRS will send letters to each of you asking for a statement/documentation to support the dependency exemption.  After receiving the responses, they will render a decision.

If you are the custodial parent -- meaning she has lived with you for more than half the year -- then your ex would need your signed permission (Form 8332) to claim her as the non-custodial parent.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You'll file a paper return and claim the child as a dependent (the IRS will reject an e-filed return once her SSN has appeared on another return).  Then, since two returns are showing her as a dependent, the IRS will send letters to each of you asking for a statement/documentation to support the dependency exemption.  After receiving the responses, they will render a decision.

If you are the custodial parent -- meaning she has lived with you for more than half the year -- then your ex would need your signed permission (Form 8332) to claim her as the non-custodial parent.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings