Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My employer put different state on my w2 due to a mistake - do I need to file a return in that state?

For background, I work from home and live in California for a company that is based in North Carolina. The employer accidentally set me up for NC for 1 pay period, which is the reason why it has the added state in section 15, 16, and 17 on my w2. It says in section 16: $2555.60 but in 17, no taxes were withheld. 

So I was wondering, is it worth bothering my employer to give me a corrected w2? Do I need to actually file a return for NC since the amount is below the threshold in NC? Especially since all work was done in California, and never physically worked in NC at all. Just looking for advice here.

To give more info about that 1 pay period, CA taxes were indeed withheld on that one paystub and it shows, but NC also shows but taxes weren't withheld, so it is indeed confusing why both states were included but CA taxes were taken out but still shows NC there.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

My employer put different state on my w2 due to a mistake - do I need to file a return in that state?

I don't see a need to file an NC return.

Since no NC taxes were withheld, you have no motive to file a NC return to get it back. And if your NC source income is below the filing threshold (in fact, your NC source income would appear to be zero), you don't seem to need to file an NC return anyway.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies