Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My employer paid me once a week $10 per hour for 4 months never gave me a check stub or took out taxes it was personal checks how do i file this ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieCo

My employer paid me once a week $10 per hour for 4 months never gave me a check stub or took out taxes it was personal checks how do i file this ?

If you know you are not receiving a W-2 or 1099 form because you were paid in cash or without a pay stub, you will need to enter the income as "self-employment income" in TurboTax.  

To do this, go to your Federal Return, select the "Wages & Income" tab at the top of the screen.  Then scroll down to "self-employment income" and then go through the prompts to "add this line of work."  Eventually, you will come to a screen to add your income.  

When you are entering information about your self-employment business, the screens may ask you things such as whether you had employees, whether you had someone do work FOR you where you gave them a 1099 form (so this wouldn't be related to your income or you receiving a 1099 form), or if you have an Employer ID number, etc. These screens can all be answered in the negative that you didn't have employees, a 1099 contractor, or an employer ID number.  

After these screens, a summary will be shown where TurboTax asks you to review your self-employment business.  If you select "It looks good" you should then proceed to the screen to enter your income.

There should be a screen that says "Let's Get Income" and you will want to select the line labelled "Additional Income and Other Income.  A sample screenshot is attached.

On the next screen, enter a description of the income received and then the total amount you were paid for the year.  

Be aware that you will have to pay Self-Employment taxes on this income.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieCo

If you know you are not receiving a W-2 or 1099 form because you were paid in cash or without a pay stub, you will need to enter the income as "self-employment income" in TurboTax.  

To do this, go to your Federal Return, select the "Wages & Income" tab at the top of the screen.  Then scroll down to "self-employment income" and then go through the prompts to "add this line of work."  Eventually, you will come to a screen to add your income.  

When you are entering information about your self-employment business, the screens may ask you things such as whether you had employees, whether you had someone do work FOR you where you gave them a 1099 form (so this wouldn't be related to your income or you receiving a 1099 form), or if you have an Employer ID number, etc. These screens can all be answered in the negative that you didn't have employees, a 1099 contractor, or an employer ID number.  

After these screens, a summary will be shown where TurboTax asks you to review your self-employment business.  If you select "It looks good" you should then proceed to the screen to enter your income.

There should be a screen that says "Let's Get Income" and you will want to select the line labelled "Additional Income and Other Income.  A sample screenshot is attached.

On the next screen, enter a description of the income received and then the total amount you were paid for the year.  

Be aware that you will have to pay Self-Employment taxes on this income.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies