turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My drivers license has expired and the DMV has been closed. My state return was rejected because of this. Is there any way to fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

My drivers license has expired and the DMV has been closed. My state return was rejected because of this. Is there any way to fix this?

what state?    you may have to paper file

I live in Illinois.  My DMV is closed due to covid 19.  My birthday was May 21 and that is when my drivers license expired.  I have been told my license will be considered valid for at least 3 months after the DMV reopens.  Will it be valid for Turbo tax or should I not use it?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Illinois has pretty strict ID requirements for electronically filing tax returns.  I have not seen any news from the state that indicates they have re-programmed their tax systems to honor the same three-month extension. 

You could give it a try and if the return will not e-file you would still be able to e-file your federal tax return and you could either print and mail your Illinois return or you could save it in hopes that your state's DMV re-opens soon so that you could transmit that return.

@Hersheydog5

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies