turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

karc83

My divorce was final July 2017, but I forgot to change from Married filing Separate to Single with HR. Can I still file Married/sep since I was married over 1/2yr?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

My divorce was final July 2017, but I forgot to change from Married filing Separate to Single with HR. Can I still file Married/sep since I was married over 1/2yr?

No. What you file at work (form W-4)  is only an estimate for withholding purposes. It does not lock you in to how you have to file a tax time.

You cannot file married filing separately (MFS) because you were not married on 12-31-17. More importantly, you do not want to file MFS. Single is much better. If you have a dependent at home, you may qualify for Head of Household filing status, which is even better.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

No. What you file at work (form W-4)  is only an estimate for withholding purposes. It does not lock you in to how you have to file a tax time.

You cannot file married filing separately (MFS) because you were not married on 12-31-17. More importantly, you do not want to file MFS. Single is much better. If you have a dependent at home, you may qualify for Head of Household filing status, which is even better.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies