Solved: My daughter works and she filed her income tax for 2016 but she did not start working until October of 2016 prior to that she was dependant on me how to i file ?

My daughter works and she filed her income tax for 2016 but she did not start working until October of 2016 prior to that she was dependant on me how to i file ?

how do i file my return if my daughter still lives with me and filed her own return but she only worked for less than half the year in 2016

You either qualify to claim your daughter for the year, or you do not qualify. A year isn't broken into parts, so the 6 months that she didn't work don't mean much.

Was your daughter a full-time student for 5 or more months during the year?

If not, did she make more than $4,050 for the whole year?

You cannot claim an adult child (assuming this is the case) as a dependent if he or she made $4,050 or more. It doesn't matter how many months she worked or didn't work for this income "test".

See Exemptions for Dependents

Did your daughter also claim herself when she filed?

yes she did , she filed single

See Exemptions for Dependents

Yes she was a full time student for 5 months so does this give me the right to claim her on my taxes?

Maybe. If she was a full time student, you have a better chance. Did she provide more than half of her own support for the year? Also, did she claim herself? If she did, you won't be able to efile your return and she'll need to amend hers.

Also, how old was she on 12/31/2016? Under 24?

Yes

And I'm assuming her job at McD's didn't provide more than half of her support?

No it did not.

so how to do i file i do not want to do anything that is not correct please help

she did claim herself but this is her first time claiming and she filed by herself and did not ask for any help

are you still there

Are you going to reply

my daughter graduated high school in may of 2016 and did not begin working until october 2016 and she works for mc donalds mon, wed fri  sat and sun she goes to school full time tuesdays and thursday at miami dade community college

please i really need to complete my return could advise what i should do