Alejandra

My daughter is in college in MA and her health insurance is from GA trough my job. She didn't received the form MA1099hc and Turbotax don't let me efile the taxes. Help

My daughter is studying in Massachussetts and her health insurance was through my job from Georgia. She didn't receive the form MA-1099 HC. TurboTax don't let me file the taxes because we don't have that information. What can I do?
ToddL

Why is she filing a MA return?
Alejandra

Her W2 is from her college and she was over there all year long except for summer.
ToddL

As a student attending college out-of-state, she is considered to remain a resident of her home state unless she takes action to establish residency in another state (does not have to be the state where she goes to college). The time she spends there is irrelevant while a student.

See "What makes you a resident of a state (or country)?" at the bottom.

When she completes the Personal Interview:

1. Select Georgia as the state of residence on December 31, 2016;
  2. Answer "No" when asked if she "Lived in another state in 2016?" That question only applies if you changed your state of residence in 2016.
  3. Answer "Yes" when asked if she "Earned money in another state?", that state being Massachusetts.

This will prompt the program to prepare a non-resident MA return and a resident GA return. The non-resident MA return interview won't ask about MA health care forms

If she has to pay tax to MA, GA  will also want to tax that income but will give you a credit (against GA tax, for the amount paid to MA on the same income.

What makes you a resident of a state (or country)? 

Generally, you're a resident of a state (or country) if you intend to either stay there permanently, or return there after a temporary absence. It's where home is – where you come back to after being away on vacation, business trip, overseas or out-of-state employment, or school. Many factors are considered, not the least of which are where you are registered to vote, own homestead property and are licensed to drive.