Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tam9
Level 2

My daughter is 17 years old and earned more then $6,300 in 2016. She is going to file her tax, but can we claim her as dependent?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

My daughter is 17 years old and earned more then $6,300 in 2016. She is going to file her tax, but can we claim her as dependent?

Yes, you can still claim her as a dependent if she didn't provide more than half of her own support and lived with you for more than half of the year. Enter her information into TurboTax, the program will help you determine her dependent qualifications.

Please be sure that she indicates on her tax return that she is claimed (or will be) by someone else. Otherwise, your return will be rejected.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can still claim her as a dependent if she didn't provide more than half of her own support and lived with you for more than half of the year. Enter her information into TurboTax, the program will help you determine her dependent qualifications.

Please be sure that she indicates on her tax return that she is claimed (or will be) by someone else. Otherwise, your return will be rejected.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies