Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

My daughter graduated in May of 2016 from college can I still claim her?

1 Reply
Expert Alumni

My daughter graduated in May of 2016 from college can I still claim her?

It depends, but probably.  You can still claim her if:

  1. Relationship.  (Daughter, no problem)
  2. Residence.  Had to be with you half of the year (Time in college counts as living with you).
  3. Citizenship.  Essentially, either a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Resident (should be no problem)
  4. Not filing a joint return with a spouse.  (Exception:  only claiming a refund for wages and nothing else)
  5. Age.  As long as she was at least a half-time student for those 5 months, you can claim her if she was under 24 as of December 31, 2016.
  6. Support.  She must not have provided more than half of her own support.

If she passes all of these tests she is your qualifying child and may be claimed for all benefits.  If she passes all of those tests except for the last one (support), she may be claimed still for EIC if you qualify to receive EIC.  You could not claim her exemption or Head of Household.

If she does not pass the residence or age tests, she may still be a qualifying relative if:

  1. She made less than $4050 of reportable income for the year
  2. You provide more than half of her support.

Qualifying relative does not have the same amount of benefits but would still allow you to claim her school expenses.  If she is over 24 and living at home more than half of the year, you could also claim Head of Household.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings