Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My daughter and I bought a duplex together. We live on separate sides. Both our names are on the mortage. Who can claim the interest? And how much?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My daughter and I bought a duplex together. We live on separate sides. Both our names are on the mortage. Who can claim the interest? And how much?

You can each claim 50% or you can agree to split it another way as long as it comes out to 100% between you.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Taxpayers are responsible for determining the amount of mortgage interest that is and is not deductible. You and your daughter should keep records showing when you acquired your mortgage, how you used the mortgage proceeds, and how you split the mortgage interest and real property taxes. In general, you should keep your records for at least three calendar years after the later of the return filing date or the return due date. See Publication 936, Home Mortgage Interest Deduction for further information and for rules on the amount of mortgage and home equity loan interest that you may deduct within a taxable year.

Usually the Form 1098 comes in only one social security number (SSA).  Keep the records as indicated and split the amounts based on the amount each of you paid.

@Daedaddy  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

were mortgage payments split 50/50? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies