Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

My boyfriend claimed me as a dependent and I’m 28. Can I still get a stimulus check?

My boyfriend claimed me as a dependent back in February. I didn’t find out until after he did it. He filed his taxes with an H&R Block representative. After he filed his taxes he told me that he put me as a dependent. He knows and has access to all of my information because we have been together since high school. I know all of his information too. He put me as a dependent because he makes a lot more money than me. I am a stay at home mom during the week and  work during the weekend when he’s home. I also have a small online side gig. I provide groceries for the house and help with bills. I bring in about $130-$150 a week. Not a lot but it’s something to a mom of twins under 5.

I feel so hurt and left out now by this bill. This money could’ve helped me a lot. I know he needs to get his car fixed because he has been using mine to get to work every day, I can’t help but feel down about it. Is there a way I can still file and get my portion? 

1 Reply
Expert Alumni

My boyfriend claimed me as a dependent and I’m 28. Can I still get a stimulus check?

Your boyfriend can claim you as a Qualifying relative provided:


• You don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• You cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• You are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• You are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

•  You lived with you the entire year.

• You made less than $4,200 in 2019

• He provided more than half of their financial support.


Since you made more than the threshold, your boyfriend would be required to file an amended return.  IRS Publication 17, page 26.


You should file a paper return with the IRS correctly claiming your income.  The IRS will send a letter stating that someone else claimed you on their return.  At this time you will be able to dispute him claiming on his return. 







**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings