Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

man37whet

My 16 year old daughter has a one year old child. Can she claim him as a dependent on her taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My 16 year old daughter has a one year old child. Can she claim him as a dependent on her taxes?

Yes, but you probably don't want to do that.  Someone who is a dependent can't claim a dependent, so if your daughter claims your granddaughter, then you can't claim your daughter as a dependent.  You can claim both your daughter and granddaughter as dependents and your daughter (if she has income from working) would check the box for "someone else can claim me as a dependent."

If her income is just right, she might get more in earned income credit than you will lose by giving up both dependents, so you might want to test it both ways.  But it will probably be to your advantage to claim both children on your tax return.

KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If you are claiming your daughter, and I assume you are, your daughter can't claim the baby, but you might be able to.

The main point is do they live with you and do you supply more than half of their support.

Even if you do claim your daughter and grandchild, your daughter can file if she worked and she could get a refund if she had tax withheld, but she would say "someone else is claiming me as a dependent"

Please click on the link below to determine if your daughter is your dependent.

CLICK HERE for more information on claiming a dependent

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies