Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jds24
Returning Member

Multiple Property 1031 Exchange

I entered into a single exchange with a QI in which I sold 3 properties with the intent to buy one property. My identification period for all properties was due 45 days after the sale of the first property, which I complied with. The IRS granted relief for certain taxpayers due to hurricane IAN in which under Section 17 one could extend both the identification and purchase of replacement property until February 15, 2023, if an identified property was substantially damaged in the hurricane and the relinquished property was sold before the hurricane. Two

of my properties were sold prior to the hurricane and one after it.

One view is that this constitutes one transaction and I can have all three relinquished properties receive the 

1031 deferral benefit. Another is that the third property cannot be included as it was sold after the hurricane.

Which view is correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

A knee-jerk reaction would be that it would be allowed but this is not the proper venue for a complex transaction and TurboTax does not support multi-asset exchanges (at least not directly).

Your best course of action would be to consult with a local tax professional (there are likely also state tax considerations as well).

See https://taxexperts.naea.org/listing/service/individual-tax-preparation

You might also want to run this by your intermediary and see if they either have firsthand knowledge or can recommend someone who does in your local area.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

A knee-jerk reaction would be that it would be allowed but this is not the proper venue for a complex transaction and TurboTax does not support multi-asset exchanges (at least not directly).

Your best course of action would be to consult with a local tax professional (there are likely also state tax considerations as well).

See https://taxexperts.naea.org/listing/service/individual-tax-preparation

You might also want to run this by your intermediary and see if they either have firsthand knowledge or can recommend someone who does in your local area.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies