Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Multiple Jobs and Unusual tax situations

Hi I'm wondering if there are special considerations for multiple incomes within a household? My spouse works a w2 job, is employed as a part time military member, and operates an LLC. I have a w2 job and am looking to start my own LLC this year. We keep the LLC finances separate from our joint accounts, and I will likely do the same with my LLC and keep finances separate from joint accounts. Otherwise, we comingle funds from the 2 w2s and military.

When we file taxes, are there special considerations we should take?  Are there specific deductions we should consider (I WFH and both LLCs would be operated out of our home as well)? 

For instance, last year our w4s were off by roughly $1,500 that we needed to pay, and we increased our withholding this year to account for this. However, will the opening of my husband's LLC (and this year my own) affect this further? We will see a tax pro/CPA, but I always like to keep my options open when there could be multiple points of view on the topic. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Multiple Jobs and Unusual tax situations

If the LLC's have single-member ownership, you can enter them as self-employment income on your personal tax return form 1040, using schedule C. You need to track the income and expenses associated with them separately. If you use a room in your house exclusively for the businesses, you may be able to take a home office deduction for that. 

Net income from an LLC is subject to self-employment tax of about 15% in additional to income taxes, so you may need to pay in estimated taxes so you don't get penalized for late payment of tax when you submit your tax return.

Any expenses that you have that are ordinary and necessary for the operation of the businesses are deductible on the business tax returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies