Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Multiple copies of form 8949

I am closing out an irrevocable non-grantor trust for my son and I moved all of the remaining stocks over to a new non-trust account in-kind - all happened within 2023 for tax purposes.  Since I have short-term and long-term capital gains to report on Schedule D and Turbotax Business auto created a form 8949, I would like to create a separate form 8949 to report the stock distribution to him so that I can record the gains based on the cost basis and FMV when I transferred the stock.  Is there a way in Turbotax business to create a second copy of 8949 for this purpose? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If you are talking about a second 8949 just for your son's information purposes then no, there isn't a way to create a second 8949 that would not be filed with the return.  So I have two suggested options for you-

1. Manipulate your numbers so that the 8949 shows the amounts that you want to have shown to your son.  This involves changing all of your bases so that they aren't correct for filing but are correct for the form you want to send.  Then save a pdf of the return and change your numbers back to what you will want to file with the IRS and you will have a form to send to him and a correct form to file.

2. Use the fillable pdf provided by the IRS here and just enter the information for him and you can send that to him.  It's a little more data entry but it's not linking to anything so maybe a little less work.

@rausenberger 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Robert - 

Thanks so much for your reply.  I think using the fillable PDF form of the 8949 would work for what I need. 

Just to clarify, both 8949 forms are for the IRS - not for my son.  Here is a description of each:

1- the first 8949 form would be used to report on all of the stock trades for 2023 that are reported on our 1099s.

2- the second 8949 would be to report on all of the stocks left in their trust accounts that were subsequently distributed out of the trust on Dec 31 2023 to their personal accounts.  This will allow me to capture the cost basis and stock price on that date so that there is a record gains/losses for those stocks separately.  

Matt

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies