Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Multi year problem with 8889 and 5329

I have been using TurboTax for more than 5 years. I expected this to be a software that would sort out the details and ask information from us.

It has been a nightmare dealing with HSA Account through TurboTax. 

How many years back do we need to work on the worksheets that they have screwed? What is the best way to deal with it? Should I take my past returns to H&R Block? Do you think those guys would be able to help?

How about reporting this matter to Attorney General's Office asking them to take action? Bigger thing is getting the returns fixed!

Please let me know your valued opinion!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Multi year problem with 8889 and 5329

Generally, difficulties with HSAs in TurboTax have been rooted in the opaque and arcane IRS rules, and the tremendous amount of disinformation on the Internet about HSAs. This means that the TurboTax HSA doesn't work the way you think it does. 

How many years are we talking about? What kind of what HDHP coverage per year? What were the contributions each year? Where they through the employer (code W in box 12 in the W-2) or made directly to the HSA custodian? Were excess amounts caried over? Any Medicare? Spouse? How many HSAs?

I can fix most HSA returns, but I'll need a lot of details from you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies