Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moving to new state during tax year

My retired parents moved from CA to AZ during 2023. My dad's 1099-R for his retirement from a private company lists the state distribution amounts for each state along with the payer's state no. in boxes 15 & 16 (no state or federal taxes are withheld).

My mom gets a pension from the State of CA and has federal and CA state taxes deducted (no state taxes will be withheld in 2024). Her 1099-R has the information for CA only listed in boxes 14 & 15, with nothing in box 16.

Should I split the amount of the gross distribution in box 1 between both states using their move date to determine the appropriate figure and enter this is box 16? If so, would I use the payer's state no. listed for AZ from my dad's 1099-R and enter that same number on my mom’s 1099-R or leave box 15 payer's state no. blank for AZ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

You should enter the Form 1099-R just as they were received without trying to calculate each state portion.  

As you go through each part-year resident state tax return you will be asked to allocate income based on the time of residency.  This is where you will divide the total retirement income shown on the Federal return and allocate a portion to each state.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

You should enter the Form 1099-R just as they were received without trying to calculate each state portion.  

As you go through each part-year resident state tax return you will be asked to allocate income based on the time of residency.  This is where you will divide the total retirement income shown on the Federal return and allocate a portion to each state.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

AnnetteB6,

Thank you for your help!! I was able to complete my parent's tax return.

TamTK

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies