Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ann46
Returning Member

Moved

And I was living in anther state for 3 months and file my taxes for 2022 for that state now I moved back to my old state would I change my address to my old state I at now when I do my 2023 taxes ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
K M W
Employee Tax Expert

Moved

Moving between states during the year can trigger tax consequences, so you want to make sure that you file the proper state tax returns required.

In general, there are three types of state returns:

1. Non-resident return: you pay income taxes ONLY on the income earned in that state, and you do not live in that state;
  2. Part-year resident return: you pay income taxes on ALL the income you earned, for the part of the year that you were a resident of that state.
  3. Full-year resident: you pay income taxes on ALL the income you earn for the full year to that state.

Note, if you were living in one state, but working in a different state and had to pay taxes to the non-resident state, your resident state return should include a credit for taxes paid to another state (so that the same income is not taxed twice).

Each state has its own rules as to what is considered you moving to that state and establishing residency, so it's important for for you to check the respective state websites to review their rules on whether you were a resident of that state or not..

In your situation, the answer depends on when you moved from one state to the next, and what each of those states define as meeting the rules to be considered a resident.

So, if you moved from State A to State B in 2023, generally speaking you would be a part-year resident of each state, and would file an income tax return in each state, reporting only the income you earned during the time you were living in that state.  When you do your 2023 tax returns, you want to use your most current address on all the tax returns, not the address where you lived prior. So, yes, in your case, you want to change your address to be your "old state" as that is the state you are currently living in.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
K M W
Employee Tax Expert

Moved

Moving between states during the year can trigger tax consequences, so you want to make sure that you file the proper state tax returns required.

In general, there are three types of state returns:

1. Non-resident return: you pay income taxes ONLY on the income earned in that state, and you do not live in that state;
  2. Part-year resident return: you pay income taxes on ALL the income you earned, for the part of the year that you were a resident of that state.
  3. Full-year resident: you pay income taxes on ALL the income you earn for the full year to that state.

Note, if you were living in one state, but working in a different state and had to pay taxes to the non-resident state, your resident state return should include a credit for taxes paid to another state (so that the same income is not taxed twice).

Each state has its own rules as to what is considered you moving to that state and establishing residency, so it's important for for you to check the respective state websites to review their rules on whether you were a resident of that state or not..

In your situation, the answer depends on when you moved from one state to the next, and what each of those states define as meeting the rules to be considered a resident.

So, if you moved from State A to State B in 2023, generally speaking you would be a part-year resident of each state, and would file an income tax return in each state, reporting only the income you earned during the time you were living in that state.  When you do your 2023 tax returns, you want to use your most current address on all the tax returns, not the address where you lived prior. So, yes, in your case, you want to change your address to be your "old state" as that is the state you are currently living in.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies