Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kyra6

moved states but forgot to chance address until late October 2023 when i actually moved in july 2023. now it reflects in my w2

so moved to Virginia on 7/14/23 but i didnt update my address my to my employer until October (by mistake). I Received my w2 and my income for north Carolina (my old stated i moved away from) says i made way more than i did and now it says i owe for taxes that i didnt pay to north Carolina even though i only lived in north carolina until 7/14/23. i asked my employer to redo my w2 because it was a mistake and i have my lease form showing i moved to Virginia on 7/14/23. but they will not correct it. what should i do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

moved states but forgot to chance address until late October 2023 when i actually moved in july 2023. now it reflects in my w2

It's going to be hard to convince the North Carolina Department of Revenue that your income is different than what is reported on your W-2 form. It might be better to report the income on your W-2 as belonging to North Carolina, then on your Virginia return look for an option for a credit for tax paid to another state. That way, your extra tax paid to North Carolina will be subtracted from what you owe to Virginia and you won't end up paying much if anything in additional tax.

The only problem is that you may have to pay taxes in to North Carolina that was not withheld from your pay. However, even if you got a corrected W-2, that tax not withheld to North Carolina would be due to Virginia, so either way you may end up owing taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies