Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ogfogf295

Moved Abroad, Foreign Bank Asked Me to Put Less Accurate Address on W-9... will this give me trouble later?

I moved abroad for work to Singapore, specifically. I wanted to open a bank account with Singapore Citibank (separate company that partners with Citibank under similar branding), since I have USA citibank accounts still so then a Singaporean currency bank account with Singapore citibank would allow free transfers to US currency bank accounts. So, I fillout all the forms and provide all my info including things like proof I work in Singapore now, have an apartment, w9 form, etc. I get a message later that they could not open an account because I provided a California address (where my previous home address was and where I have family currently living) asking me if I could provide a new W-9 form with a non-california address. After some back and forth, I was told that because California recently passed strict privacy protection laws that Singaporean citibank set the company policy that they would no longer create bank accounts for Americans listing their home addresses as California. They wanted me to put the address of my parents in New York state instead on a new w9 (where I resided when I filed taxes over 10 years ago before moving out for college etc...). I doubt they understand much about any potential IRS consequences for me if this creates a problem.

So given that whole (overly long) story, my question is whether there are any negative consequences if I go along with what the bank wants and list my address as the New York one? It seems improper given I haven't lived there in at least 10 years and given that I use the california address as my US address for all other purposes, (eg. drivers license, billing address, etc...) Then again, is my proper address now in Singapore where I will be spending at least 11 months of the year from the IRS' perspective? Should I be listing that in my W9 instead? Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, googling this topic did not yield very useful results.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies