Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mother of my child claimed my son on her taxes but hasn't had any income since he was born May 2023

We live together and she hasn't worked since the baby was born. I told her I was going to claim the baby but she did behind my back.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Mother of my child claimed my son on her taxes but hasn't had any income since he was born May 2023

If your child's mother had no income there would have been no benefit to be gained claiming your child.  Nonetheless, if you are the one who qualifies to claim your child because you provided more than half of the child's support and the child lived with you all year, then you should print and mail your return to claim the credits associated with claiming your child on your tax return. 

Since the mom would have received no benefit from this the IRS will likely not pursue this further but if income was reported on that return and credits claimed the IRS will send letters to both of you in the latter part of the year requesting additional information in order to determine which tax return should be corrected with credits paid back to the IRS (with interest and penalties).  The IRS inquiry (and interest/penalties) can be avoided by having the mother file an amended return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The IRS will give the dependency to the parent with the higher AGI. If that is you, you can file by mail claiming the child and the IRS sort it out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies