Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mortgage interest limit calculation appears incorrect

These are different problems from last year's (although one has to do refinancing, as last year's did). There's no way to properly adjust the origination date for a refinanced mortgage. And the mortgage interest limit isn't being applied properly, apparently because certain amounts aren't carrying from line to line in relevant worksheets and forms.

1. We originally mortgaged our house in April 2017, then refinanced in Sep 2019. The refi was for less than the original mtg, and we took out no cash. IRS says that the debt is therefore deemed to have been acquired in 2017 (that is, the refi doesn't change the acquisition date), so the 2017 limits ($1m rather than $750k) apply. The 1098 for the current loan says it originated in 2019, as indeed it did. There should be questions in TT to determine whether the 2017 or 2019 limits apply (was new amount greater than original, was cash taken out, etc), but there aren't. The solution is to enter the original date instead of the newer date when typing in the 1098 data, but that edit should be done by TT not by the user fudging dates.

2. Once I've made that edit to the 1098, the mtg amount and date flow through properly to the "Home Int Wkst" and the "Ded Home Mort" forms, and the interest limit fraction is calculated correctly on line 15 of the latter. But then (a) line 13 is blank, whereas it should contain the amount from line 12 adjusted for any 1098 discrepancies, and therefore (b) line 16 is blank, whereas it should contain the limited amount from line 13, and therefore (c) Schedule A line 8a has the entire interest amount rather than the limited amount--that is, TT is giving me a larger deduction than I'm entitled to.

"Tax & In Wks" is showing "not done" because A2 in the "Mortgage Interest Limited Smart Worksheet" is blank, presumably because of the same problem as #2. So perhaps this is simply a worksheet that's still in progress. But otherwise there's a logic failure somewhere.

Clearly I can fix all this by calculating manually and overriding certain boxes, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies