Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

teachme
Returning Member

Mortgage Interest Deduction for two properties, one is primary home, the other one is partial rental property

I have two form 1098, one is for primary home, the other one is for partial rental property.

First 1098 is for the house bought (Nov, 2017), prior to Dec 15, 2017, it was my primary home since I bought it. I lived there till April 2023.  May 2023, I have rented it out and moved to my new house.

Second 1098 is for my new house which was purchased in Aug 2022, we have been remodeling it, and moved into this house in May 2023 when it's ready.

The first 1098,  4 months was personal use, 8 months was rental property. So 67% rental, 33% personal use.  Schedule E correctly split the mortgage interest accordingly.

The second 1098, was included in Schedule A itemized deduction.  This is how TurboTax calculated the mortgage interest deduction for Schedule A:

First 1098, average debt balance is $300,000, total mortgage interest is $8,000. 67% rental = $5,360 is included in Schedule E. The rest 33% personal use = $2,640 is included in Schedule A.

Second 1098, average debt balance is $1,700,000, total mortgage interest is $60,000. In Deductible Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet, TurboTax did:

300,000+1,700,000=2,000,000, total average mortgage debt. (Part II qualified loan limit Line 10 in the worksheet)

8000+60000=68000, total mortgage interest

Qualified loan limit $750,000

750,000/2,000,000=.375

Total interest $68,000 * .375 = $25,500 which is the deductible mortgage interest (line 22 on the worksheet).

In Tax and Interest deduction Interest Worksheet:

Line 5a shows $25,500, Line 5b shows $2,640 (mortgage interest portion from Schedule E for personal use for first 1098).

So Total mortgage interest deduction = $25,500+$2,640 = $28,140, this is the amount shows in Schedule A line 8a for home mortgage interest deduction

Question: the personal use interest portion $2,640 was added to Schedule A, why in the qualified loan limit calculation combined the total of these two loans' average balance to arrive the limitation %? Isn't this is double counting?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Mortgage Interest Deduction for two properties, one is primary home, the other one is partial rental property

Yes, the program automatically reports the personal portion of your rental mortgage interest to Schedule A. As you have seen, the program may also include this portion in the mortgage interest that is allocable to the aggregate indebtedness greater than $750,000.  If it does, you will need to manually adjust the amount.  

On the page "Your mortgage interest is being limited," TurboTax provides a box for you to enter the interest you have calculated. This manual adjustment is provided when debt is above limits and part of the home is used for a rental (a program limitation).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies