Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mgiansante14
Returning Member

Mortgage and Property Tax Deduction for deceased parent

Hello!

My father passed away last year and as I do my taxes this year I was wondering if I could deduct the mortgage and property taxes. The mortgage is still in my father's name, I make all the payments and my name is on the deed. I rent out my father's condo, so this is not my primary residence. Can I still deduct the mortgage interest and property taxes that I paid on the condo all of 2023? 

If so, how do I file it on my turbotax account? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Mortgage and Property Tax Deduction for deceased parent

Not all of 2023 since your dad is entitled to his share. Your dad's final return would take the portion that belongs to him - unless it was not his house. If you are the only owner of the house you qualify to claim the  remainder of the deduction. Since you are renting the house, you would enter it on Sch E to declare the income and expenses.  See Pub 527 for the rental. Be sure to claim the depreciation as that must be accounted for when sold.

Publication 530, Tax Information for Homeowners  page 6 states:

Deductible Mortgage Interest 

To be deductible, the interest you pay must be on a loan secured by your main home or a second home, regardless of how the loan is labeled. The loan can be a first or second mortgage, a home improvement loan, a home equity loan, or a refinanced mortgage

I am very sorry for your loss. The IRS has a quick  How Do I File a Deceased Person interactive assistant. It is very detailed and may give you additional information. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies