Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Monies received from sale of property from a trust - tax implications

I received money from the sale of property (house) that was in a trust.  I was one of 4 people who received money from the sale.  

What are my tax implications for the money received?  How to I add this income? to my 2023 tax filing?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You would report this as a sale of an investment. Before you begin though, you will need to know the Fair Market Value (FMV) of the house at date of death of the decedent. Once you have this amount, you would divide this amount by 4 to determine your share of the cost basis of the house. Now to report:

1. Log into or open your Turbo Tax Program
  2. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Federal Taxes” tab ("Personal" tab in TurboTax Home & Business)
  3. Next click on “Wages & Income” ("Personal Income" in TurboTax Home & Business)
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Investment Income”
  5. Choose “Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other” and select “start’ (or “update” is you have already worked on this section)
  6. The first screen will ask if you sold any investments during the current tax year (This includes any sale of real property held as an investment property so answer “yes” to this question)
  7. Since you did not receive a 1099-B, answer “no” to the 1099-B question
  8. Choose type of investment you sold - select everything else
  9. Some basic information:
    1. Description –  Usually the address of the property sold
    2. Sales Proceeds –  This is the amount of income you received from the sale.
    3. Date Sold – Date of the sale of the house.
  10. Tell us how you acquired the property - inheritance
  11. Enter the date inherited.  This is the date of death of the decedent.
  12. Enter the your fair market value - Fair Market Value of the property at the time of death plus any capital improvements since inheriting it. (Also, you can increase the basis (FMV) by the allowable closing costs)
  13. If you had a loss, on the question of "Did you use this property for business or investment?" If the inherited house was not used for any personal use (no family member lived in it or used it between the time of inheritance and the sale), you will answer that this was for investment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@rrblac 

Did you receive a K-1? Who paid you your share of the proceeds (e.g., a trustee of the trust)?

You need to inquire as to nature of the trust and also whether or not the trust will issue a K-1 to you and, further, whether or not, the trust paid any income tax due on the sale of the property.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies