Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Money earned in work release

If I filed taxes, my W2 and the IRS sent me a letter stating that e.i.c. wouldn't count for money earned in a work release center in Florida. So how do I fix my taxes to still get a return? Do I need to amend it? Will the IRS fix the issue and send me my return? Thank you in advance 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

Unfortunately, money earned while an inmate in a penal institution, including money earned in a work release program or a halfway house, does not count for purposes of the Earned Income Credit.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Did the letter you received from the IRS contain any instructions as to how you should proceed?

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Just a little confused on how this all works I've never had this issue I'm just curious i if I will still be receiving a tax return from that year even though I worked in the work release I worked online and shows that you do get it what from being in worker leaks but they're saying I don't so I'm not sure just confused this is a letter that I got any help as much appreciated

TomD8
Level 15

Unfortunately, money earned while an inmate in a penal institution, including money earned in a work release program or a halfway house, does not count for purposes of the Earned Income Credit.

But does it count as earned income. Or is earned income credit the same as the money you made through the year 

TomD8
Level 15

Yes, it still counts as earned, taxable income.  It just doesn't count for purposes of the "earned income credit".  This video explains the "earned income credit":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO47tu9CSkU

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies