Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MN state tax eligibility

I am trying to figure out if I owe Minnesota state tax. It seems the requirements are that in order to qualify I must 1) have spent at least 183 days in MN, 2) occupied an abode in MN and 3) have Minnesota gross income that meets the minimum filing requirement of $13,825. It seems I MIGHT meet the 2nd and 3rd of the above requirements although I’m not entirely sure: I earned $27,000 as an independent contractor for a small sole proprietor business based in MN, but I was only physically present in MN doing this work for 60 days and then did the rest of the work remotely outside of the US. I may have occupied an “abode” while I was working there for the 60 days, as I stayed full time at my parent’s house which is my permanent address I use while I am abroad. Can you clarify that I do include meet the 2nd and 3rd requirements and if this requires me to pay state tax? Or am I excluded because I don’t meet the 183-day rule?  https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/183-day-rule 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

MN state tax eligibility

You qualify as a remote worker.  You do not need to file a Minnesota state tax return.

@StephA 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies