Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MN M1PR for resident alien for tax purposes

I completed my tax return with Turbotax a few days ago, and it also assisted me in filing Minnesota Renter Property Tax refund.

My question is: I am still confused about my eligibility to get this refund.

I am an international student, which is considered a non-resident. But since in 2020, I met the 5 year exempt period and passed the substantial presence test, which means I am now a "resident alien of the United States for tax purposes."

I read through the M1PR refund requirement and I believe I am eligible except for the income and non-resident alien exclusion. Here's some info:

I started living in MN 4 years ago, have CRP each year, and have had $0 income since I arrived in the states.

Am I eligible to claim this refund? Is there any red flag that might prevent me from getting a refund, such as never having had an income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

MN M1PR for resident alien for tax purposes

Here is an excellent State of Minnesota source that addresses the property tax credit. As I look at the Minnesota M1PR form, it appears you do need income, at least if you wish to file electronically, because if you click on the blue link above, look at line 6 (if you are a renter). If you have no income, you need to attach an explanation to that form. This means you will need to download, print the form,  include the explanation, and mail the form. Read the M1PR instructions for further details. 

If you are a homeowner, you can file directly online through this link. Note, I suggest filing directly with the state instead of Turbo Tax because you may have trouble filing an electronic return with no income. Instead of going through the aggravation of trying to file, it would be much easier to file through the state itself. I have included the right links above that have all resources you need for a successful file. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies