turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MLP Carry Over Suspended Losses on final sale.

I sold a MLP in 2023 I have owned over a decade and am calculating final suspended carry over losses. Does Turbotax report these/each specific MLP suspended losses every year to IRS or is the KI partner A worksheet showing them just kept for my records for each MLP within Turbotax? Now the MLP is sold I am figuring out how to total and report all the suspended losses, even from before using Turbotax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If you've been using TT over the years, the suspended losses have been tracked and carried over each year.  If this is your first year, you'll come to a screen in the interview asking you to enter them.

Either way, since this year is a complete disposition, TT will report any released losses on Sched E.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!

Yes understood. My question is: does the suspended loss carry over get reported yearly by TT for an MLP as part of the package sent to IRS? I think not as its just in the worksheet but wanted confirmation. For those of us with losses from before we used TT or in some cases (TT didn't carry them over in 18-20) this is an issue.

@lopears Suspended losses aren't reported to the IRS.  They exist on the K-1 worksheet, but that isn't part of any submission.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!

Thanks so much for the confirmation:) I'll dig through all the old KI's and get my total to enter during the walk thru.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies