Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tghf

Ministerial Housing Allowance without 1099 or W-2

I have a letter stating that my salary as a minister is 100% housing allowance.  I received no W-2 or 1099-Misc; I followed instructions on the answer pages to enter as if I had received a 1099. However, it won't let me submit until I have an EIN. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
tghf

The only way I can figure out how to do it is to go into forms and delete the 1099-MISC and keep the Schedule C that it generated. Is that okay?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can file it with only the Schedule C and enter the housing allowance when asked. There are steps for a W-2 however it would still require the EIN and name of church.  The church should expect that you would need an EIN however the Schedule C will allow you to file without it.

The IRS may inquire later as to why the Schedule C has no income and you can explain at that time. The church should be issuing a W-2 even if the only entry is Box 14 with your housing allowance. A minister is a 'common law' employee of the church.

Who is a Minister?  IRS Topic 417

According to the IRS, ministers are individuals who are duly ordained, commissioned, or licensed by a religious body constituting a church or chard denomination.  They are given the authority to conduct religious worship, perform sacerdotal functions, and administer ordinances or sacraments according to the tenets and practices of that church or denomination.  If a church or denomination ordains some ministers and licenses or commissions others, anyone licensed or commissioned must be able to perform substantially all the religious functions of an ordained minister to be treated as a Minister for Tax Purposes.  See publication 517

Ministers have a dual-tax status.  For federal income taxes they ordinarily are employees, however for Social Security they are self-employed with regard to services performed in the exercise of their ministry.

IRS FAQs Housing Allowance  The housing allowance is usually shown in box 14 of the W-2, not always listed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies