Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ezakin

Mil spouse attempting to do my taxes online. Turbo says my husband and I have different residency statuses and we can't file online. Can't figure out why. Any ideas?

Stationed away from our home of record. Both of us lived out of state. Turbo seems to think that I lived at our home of record, and my husband didn't, and says that we need forms mode. The only option I have to change is to say that my husband lived in our home of record, which wrongfully gives us nearly $3000 of owed taxes in our state of record which we do not owe.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ezakin

Mil spouse attempting to do my taxes online. Turbo says my husband and I have different residency statuses and we can't file online. Can't figure out why. Any ideas?

FOUND THE ANSWER TO THIS THREAD: 

In TurboTax, we have both of us listed with our Home of Record with our Missouri address.

TurboTax indicates INCORRECTLY that we owe nearly $3000 in state income tax.

Then TurboTax give us the question: "Did E- maintain a residence outside of Missouri for the year 2022?" 

IF we answer "Yes" TurboTax changes E-'s residency status to "Non-resident", and kindly removes the $3000, but doesn't allow us to continue further to file to receive our $12 return, because now, there is a discrepancy between E-'s residency and his spouse's residency.

IF we answer "No" TurboTax indicates INCORRECTLY that we owe the state of Missouri nearly $3000.

BUT IF WE CONTINUE THROUGH, we are allowed to deduct Active Duty Pay on a later page (but we will also have to file a copy of our LES as proof), and the $3000 disappears.

IN CONCLUSION: KEEP THE RESIDENCY OF BOTH ACTIVE DUTY AND SPOUSE AS MISSOURI, ANSWER "NO" TO THE QUESTION ABOUT KEEPING A RESIDENCY OUTSIDE OF MISSOURI, AND YOU WILL LATER BE ABLE TO DEDUCT ALL ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY PAY FROM YOUR RETURN.

Hopefully, this helps someone else not have to sift through and try every single possibility for 3 hours before figuring it out.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

In the Personal Info section, you should both use your Home of Record as where you live.  Where your husband is stationed does not affect your Home of Record.  If your home state has income tax it will always be taxed in your home state.

If you or your husband get a job, other than for his military pay, it will be taxed by the state that you're in, and also be carried on to your home state.  Any taxes paid in the non-home state will show as a credit on the Home of Record state.

If this does not completely answer your question, please contact us again and provide some additional details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ezakin

FOUND THE ANSWER TO THIS THREAD: 

In TurboTax, we have both of us listed with our Home of Record with our Missouri address.

TurboTax indicates INCORRECTLY that we owe nearly $3000 in state income tax.

Then TurboTax give us the question: "Did E- maintain a residence outside of Missouri for the year 2022?" 

IF we answer "Yes" TurboTax changes E-'s residency status to "Non-resident", and kindly removes the $3000, but doesn't allow us to continue further to file to receive our $12 return, because now, there is a discrepancy between E-'s residency and his spouse's residency.

IF we answer "No" TurboTax indicates INCORRECTLY that we owe the state of Missouri nearly $3000.

BUT IF WE CONTINUE THROUGH, we are allowed to deduct Active Duty Pay on a later page (but we will also have to file a copy of our LES as proof), and the $3000 disappears.

IN CONCLUSION: KEEP THE RESIDENCY OF BOTH ACTIVE DUTY AND SPOUSE AS MISSOURI, ANSWER "NO" TO THE QUESTION ABOUT KEEPING A RESIDENCY OUTSIDE OF MISSOURI, AND YOU WILL LATER BE ABLE TO DEDUCT ALL ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY PAY FROM YOUR RETURN.

Hopefully, this helps someone else not have to sift through and try every single possibility for 3 hours before figuring it out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies