Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tardis67

MIchigan Schedule 1 Addtions to Income

Hi,

In Michigan Schedule 1 line 1, the entry is for gross interest, income and dividends from other than Michigan, further in the instruction it says "You may reduce this income by related expenses not allowed as a deduction by Section 265(a)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC)."   In Michigan tax code (R 206.6) gives an example of these fees (investment counseling fees, bank charge, brokerage fees, etc). 

So when doing my taxes Turbo Tax asks if I have any of these fees which I have (namely tax prep and safety deposit box) and I entered them.  However, I noticed that when the gross interest, income and dividends amounts are carried over they are not reduced by the expenses which is my interpretation of the Michigan rule. 

Is this an error of the program, is this subtraction of the expenses somewhere else or am I misinterpreting the instruction.  I did have a communication on this subject with the Michigan Department of Treasury but it was a number of years ago.  Not sure if its still applicable.

Could you let me know your interpretation and if it is an error in the program.

Thank

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

MIchigan Schedule 1 Addtions to Income

On the MI-1040, your federal income comes over to line 10. Your schedule 1 subtractions goes to line 13 to reduce your taxable income. You can see the instructions here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies