Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mary5420

Michigan return file review says online my return was picked by computer for manual review. Is this an audit or something else? Will I get a letter?

This comment was on the state of Michigan website. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Michigan return file review says online my return was picked by computer for manual review. Is this an audit or something else? Will I get a letter?

This is a kind of "pre" audit ... they are taking time to look at the return before they finish processing it... you may or may not get a letter ... they may clear the return and send the refund....only time will tell. 

Mary5420

Thank you.  Is this how most audits start?  Does this mean the IRS will also be notified and do their review?

Hard to say if the feds will get involved ... changes in how the states process returns are evolving ... they are trying to stop refunds going out incorrectly so they do reviews in advance and not an audit after the fact.
Mary5420

This is a first for me and feels like a nightmare!  If they find an error will they then audit all prior years?  I don’t own a business or anything...

And both the feds and state do random reviews/audits every year just to keep us all honest ... you were just the lucky winner this year.
Mary5420

I just checked the MI website and it shows my return is now completed.  Says check back in 2 bus. days for transaction amount.  What do you suppose this means?

Well you will see in 2 bus days ... could be anything.  The refund could be as expected, less or more than expected so patience will be needed.

My Michigan refund was manually selected for review again, same thing last year. I don’t know why

I’m having the same issue i filed my state on 2/1 and it was accepted but now it just updated that i was picked for a Manuel review and the last 2 years i never had any issues with my state and it came under 2 weeks now this year idk what’s going on. This is very annoying 

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Even if you filed your federal and state returns at the same time, your state may not start processing your state return at the same time as the IRS processes the Federal return. Your state return may remain in pending status several days after your federal return has been accepted. Please see this TurboTax help article for more information.

All Michigan state returns are subject to a manual review by the Michigan Department of Treasury. 

Selection for review in one tax year does not increase or decrease the chance of your return being selected in future years.

Michigan law prevents the Department from discussing specific criteria for the review of returns. If the review results in an adjustment to your return, you will receive a letter of explanation.

See this Michigan FAQ page for more information.

Please also see this TurboTax article for information and links to check on the status of state returns for the different states.

@Sherry 1960  @Dymond24 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
viragommh

How long did it take for them to do the review? How delayed was your return? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies