Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Massachusetts Lead Paint Credit for Deleading

Beware:  TurboTax entered a Massachusetts Lead Paint Credit of $1,500 on my 2022 State Return that was rejected by the State.  In discussions with the State, turns out that I needed to file MA Form LP, and a copy of the Inspector's report.  TurboTax software asked me for neither.  Trying to contact TurboTax support was a nightmare.  Incredibly, the State of Massachusetts was more customer friendly than TurboTax; I submitted the proper documentation to the State and they approved my credit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

This situation is being examined further to determine what changes may be required to correct the situation.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The lead paint credit is $3,000 for 2023.  You need an inspection report saying there is a hazard.  You need to hire a licensed contractor certified in MA for lead abatement.  You to have performed the work and got a statement of compliance from an inspector.  The work must be done in the tax year. 

In my case we had lead abatement done many years ago bringing a 3-family up to compliance.  But of course, not all lead paint was removed, just made such that it was not considered unsafe.   Then after a fire occurred in one apartment, we had to gut and renovate the entire building removing all windows, doors and woodwork, wall and ceiling surfaces down to studs and joists.  Even though we removed all lead surfaces and replaced with new, this work is not considered lead paint abatement because compliance has already been achieved years ago and you can only do it once.  Although there is recognition that surfaces can and will become hazardous again, the work to maintain lead paint compliance is considered maintenance and not subject to tax credit.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies