turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Married Filing Jointly; One spouse Moved from VA to NC, other spouse remained in VA; VA Part-Year Resident Form Errors

I am using TurboTax Deluxe Online. My spouse and I are married and filing jointly. At the beginning of 2023, we were both VA residents, however midyear, I moved to NC. I have reflected this in the My Info section of TurboTax. When attempting to e-file taxes, I receive a notice there are issues with my Virginia forms which need to be addressed.

Specifically, TurboTax Online is asking me to enter a date which my spouse moved into VA (SP To Date), or left VA (SP From Date). I have left both dates blank as my spouse was a VA resident for the all of 2023. Interestingly, the state to which I moved (NC), is blank on the worksheet and I am not asked about it or able to manually fill it in. I've attached a screenshot.

Please let me know if you need additional information to advise on the best way forward. 

Thanks!VA Part-year Resident Worksheet.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Married Filing Jointly; One spouse Moved from VA to NC, other spouse remained in VA; VA Part-Year Resident Form Errors

VA page 6 has the explanations and you probably need to file as a full year resident and claim a credit for NC tax paid. See 2023 Form 760PY - Part-Year Resident Individual Income Tax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies