Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Marketplace Insurance in College Tax Question

I'm a Florida resident, however, I'm moving to Arizona to attend college. For the 2023 year I did not file taxes on my own and was a dependent on my mom's taxes. From January to June of 2024 I was under a marketplace health insurance plan in Florida through my mom. However, my school in AZ requires mandatory health insurance, therefore starting in July, my insurance broker opened me a plan through Marketplace in Arizona on my own (mom took me off her plan). I know opening this plan on my own will therefore force me to file a tax return on my own for the 2024 year even though my income for the year will be $0 as I'll be in school. Does it force you to file just the federal tax return to the IRS or does it also force you to file a state tax return? I don't plan to become an Arizona resident since I'm only going to be there for school(which exempts me from becoming one), will not earn income and all my ties (drivers license, address, voter registration, etc.) are in FL. Therefore I plan on filing my taxes as a Florida resident. My question is how would I come about reporting my tax credits on my tax return next year since I had two marketplace plans throughout the year (one with my mom as a dependent in FL) and one by myself in AZ. I also believe that FL and Arizona have different rules about who qualifies for tax credits through marketplace, I think in FL people who have no income don't qualify for APTC, but in Arizona I was able to open a plan through the marketplace even though I will have $0 income. Will having just a marketplace plan in AZ and nothing else affect my residency in Florida? 

As I see it right now (correct me if I'm wrong), for 2024 I will have to file just the IRS federal income tax return independently (since my home state of Florida doesn’t have income taxes I don’t need to file there and I will not be making any income in AZ so I don’t have to file a state income tax return there either) with two 1095A forms (one which my previous FL marketplace insurance through my mom will send) and the one that my new AZ marketplace plan will send me, as well as my 1098t that my university will provide me with. And as long as I don’t make any income like I stated on my marketplace application, I will not need to pay back any tax credits. However, will my mom’s income on her 1095A affect if or not I’ll have to pay back tax credits since I’ll also be including it on my return?. I’m new to filing on my own and don’t want to mess up or have to pay any of the tax credits back or have to establish residency in AZ or file taxes there since I plan on only going there for college. Thank you all

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies