Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

filipec

Mark-to-Market Accounting for Stock Trading Accounts

1. Mark-to-Market Accounting for Stock Investment Accounts:

• When electing mark-to-market accounting, will this change be effective for all of my stock investment accounts, or is it possible to selectively apply MTM to a trading account while keeping a separate investment account without MTM accounting?
  2. Transferability of MTM Election to a Newly Created LLC:

• Once MTM is elected in my personal name, is it permissible to transfer this election to a newly created Limited Liability Company (LLC)? If so, what are the implications and procedures for such a transfer?
  3. Optimal Approach: Personal vs. LLC Election for MTM:

• Would it be more advantageous to open an LLC and elect MTM solely for the LLC, considering potential tax benefits or other advantages compared to a personal MTM election?
  4. Using Personal Trading History for TTS Qualification under an LLC:

• Assuming operation under the newly opened LLC, if I elect MTM, can I leverage my personal trading history to qualify for Trader Tax Status (TTS) and subsequently be eligible to elect MTM for the LLC?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Mark-to-Market Accounting for Stock Trading Accounts

You might want to read through the article at the link below. Note that you should be able to segregate your trading account from a non-trading account and, further, you will most likely gain little by organizing an LLC as a single-member LLC is disregarded for federal income tax purposes (although you could use an LLC to segregate your MTM trading activity).

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2010/feb/sec475mark-to-marketelection.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies