Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mailing Logistics for Form 8453 and 700+ pages of Form 8949

Hello. I plan on e-filing my tax return, and mailing Form 8453 plus Form 8949 listing individual transactions to the IRS. If I could avoid mailing 700+ pages of paper to the IRS, I would prefer to. But since TurboTax does not allow attachment of PDFs, nor is able to handle the data import of 9000+ trades (I think the limit is around 2000 to 2500), I am stuck with this route. 

1) I am aware that Forms 8453 and 8949 must be mailed within three days of the electronically filed return being accepted by the IRS. As long as my tax return is e-filed by the April 18th deadline, the mailed forms do not necessarily need to be postmarked by April 18th, nor received by April 18th, correct?

2) Do I need to consider using a "Private Delivery Service" (https://www.irs.gov/filing/private-delivery-services-pds)? The least expensive listed "Private Delivery Service", are 2-day shipping options. As you can imagine, 2-day shipping for a 8lb box starts around $80-100 dollars. I would prefer to use a slower and cheaper service like UPS ground or FedEx ground. Would the slower service be ok?

3) How should I pack the 700+ pages in a box? Assuming there is some empty space in the box, should I put rubberbands around the stack of paper? Bubblewrap or bookend the stack with cardboard for protection? Packing Material?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

in Turbotax there is a section on the 1099-B for Type A (short-term proceeds and cost reported to IRS no adjustments and D - same as A but for long-term

thus one line for each of these types is needed (these entries flow directly to schedule D and not form 8949)and detail of these trades do not have to be submitted to the IRS. only types A snd D with adjustments or other types need to be detailed or summarized and then detail sent to IRS.

Turbotax at least allows import in some cases. Pro software usually doesn't and it's not uncommon to have to mail in multipage 1099-Bs to the IRS.

Thank you @Mike9241. Yes, I have been made aware type A and D without adjustments do not need to be detailed and sent.  Unfortunately, the most of my detailed 8949 lists type A with adjustments.

Also note I am not relying on my  broker 1099B. Because I have wash sales (i.e. adjustments) between stock/options and across all accounts, my 1099B is inadequate. Thus I used a third party program to generate a Form 8949, listing all my transactions.

Any input on the shipping logistics:

1) The mailed forms do not necessarily need to be postmarked by April 18th, nor received by April 18th, correct?

2) Using a slower and cheaper service other than those listed as a "Private Delivery Service" is ok?

3) How to pack 700 pages?

Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies