Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Looking for Help Re Relationship of 1095-C to our tax return and our daughter's tax return

As part of our tax filing, we routinely file a 1095-A HIM for myself and my husband. We also file a 1095-B KanCare (Medicaid) for my daughter's enrollment through me. We file with my 18-year-old daughter as a dependent, and she files her own tax return.

My daughter received a 1095-C EMP PROV HEALTH from one of her 2022 employers, but not the other.   Line 14 - 1H all 12 months.

I suspect that perhaps she should have from another employer.  There was health care available, if you met certain criteria, but I don't know if it was ever formally "offered" but was part of her hiring packet she received her first day.

I have been reading, trying to determine if it really matters and/or affects us or her regarding our tax filings, and if it affects her future HIM enrollment in any way if it is considered a "refusal" of employer offered healthcare on her part.

I know what the 1095-A is, and I know when an employer is required to file it with the IRS.

I read the following:

Although information from the Form 1095-C – information about an offer of employer provided coverage - can assist you in determining eligibility for the premium tax credit, it is not necessary to have Form 1095-C to file your return.

For most people, the 1095-C doesn't affect how they file taxes. It only comes into play if an employee enrolls on a health insurance marketplace with a tax credit. It's used to determine if coverage offered met the minimum requirements. If not, the employer might have to pay a penalty.

My husband and I are enrolled in the HIM, but we were not the employee, our daughter was.

Can anyone round this out for me?  On the tax side and on the HIM side?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Looking for Help Re Relationship of 1095-C to our tax return and our daughter's tax return

Only information from the form 1095A is required for filing on the tax return.

Although information from the Form 1095-C – information about an offer of employer provided coverage - can assist you in determining eligibility for the premium tax credit, it is not necessary to have Form 1095-C to file your return.

Click link below for additional information.

Steps to Enter Form 1095A in TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Only information from the form 1095A is required for filing on the tax return.

Click link below for additional information.

Steps to Enter Form 1095A in TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies