Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

westwood18
Returning Member

Local taxes for Uber and DoorDash

My question concerns local/city tax for money earned as an Uber/DoorDash driver.

I live near--but not in--a city (Detroit) that has a local/city tax.  I occasionally deliver food to someone in Detroit, but the vast majority of my deliveries are not in the city -- and again, I do not live in Detroit (or another city that has a city/local tax).  Do I need to report any of my Uber/DoorDash earnings on my city/local taxes, since a few deliveries occurred in Detroit?  (I have to file city/local taxes for Detroit because my full-time job is in the city of Detroit, but I'm just wondering if I have to include Uber/DoorDash earnings in addition to the earnings from my full-time job.)

Thanks!

John

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Local taxes for Uber and DoorDash

Technically, any income you earned making deliveries in Detroit is subject to Detroit City Income Tax. 

Based on the information you provided, the amount you earned "in Detroit" would be very difficult to calculate. You would need a detailed log showing which deliveries were to Detroit and and what the mileage & other costs for those deliveries were. The net income from those "few" jobs would probably be immaterial (too small to be concerned with).

From Detroit City Individual Taxes:

City income tax rate for Non-Resident Individuals - 1.20% on all income earned in the City

What income is taxable:  For Non-residents -  Salaries, wages, bonuses, commissions, or other compensation for services rendered for work done or services performed in Detroit; net rental income from real and tangible personal property located in Detroit; net profit from a business, profession or other activity as a result of work done, services rendered or activity conducted in Detroit; capital gains less capital losses from the sale of real or tangible personal property located in Detroit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies