Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TxHarley

LLS as Election S corp

Have a new LLC with election of an S have filed 2553/ Do i need to also file a corporate return along with personal return.  I materially on work 5 hours a month on the business would I be exempt for SS tax , 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

LLS as Election S corp

@TxHarley wrote:

Do i need to also file a corporate return........

Yes. You need to file Form 1120-S and issue a K-1 to the shareholder(s).

LLS as Election S corp

@TxHarley wrote:

.......would I be exempt for SS tax , 

You need to pay yourself a reasonable salary from which social security tax (FICA) would be deducted on the W-2 issued by the corporation.

Please consider seeking guidance from a local tax professional.

See https://taxexperts.naea.org/expertdirectory

LLS as Election S corp

Every person who participates in the S-corp, even the owner, must pay themself a fair salary for the amount of work performed. That salary is reported on a W-2 and is subject to social security, medicare, and income tax withholding, along with all other employee requirements in federal and state law (unemployment insurance, workers comp, etc.).  If you aren't sure what your profit will be, you could pay the salary in a lumps sum on December 31, if you want, rather than weekly or monthly, but you must take a fair salary.  Only after taking a fair salary, can you distribute any other profits.  You should really see a tax professional. 

LLS as Election S corp

The S-Corp return requires you to choose among buying Turbotax business to do the return yourself  - full PC or MAC require windows 10, Turbotax LIve https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/#explorenow , or use a pro

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies