Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rlb1920
Returning Member

Late TT 2023 Premier (desktop) forms release kneecaps year-end tax estimation

Will appreciate a pointer to any resource for completing a 2023 draft/model/estimated return.

For year-end tax planning, while awaiting release of TT Premier desktop for each current year, I have populated returns (each one using the *previous* year's TT release) with data (known and estimated) for the current year.  Much better is to get a head start with the current year's TT release -- however, each year's full release seems to be issued increasingly late.  Example: the Capital Gain form for 2023 was not included with my TT 2023 Premier desktop download in late November.  It was eventually promised (per pop-up when visiting the step-by-step topic) today, but today I see that it is delayed again until January 4th 2024.

Falling back to reliance on my draft using TT 2022 seems risky, e.g., for decisions about end-of-year steps like scaling a conversion of funds from Traditional to Roth IRA so that my marginal tax rate does not increase.  Is a better solution available?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Late TT 2023 Premier (desktop) forms release kneecaps year-end tax estimation

The IRS just released Schedule D for 2023 today. They still have not released the Schedule D instructions or Form 8949 and its instructions for 2023. Those forms are needed to report capital gains. When the forms aren't available from the IRS, there's not much that TurboTax can do.

You can enter investment sales in forms mode (with the understanding, of course, that the forms aren't final).

You could also try using the What-If Worksheet in forms mode for estimating your 2023 taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies