Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Korean (foreign) unemployment -- how to report

US Expat in Korea. I know my normal income qualifies for the FEIE. I did receive unemployment benefits for a few months in Korea. I know that probably cannot be deducted but I don't know how to go about reporting Korean/FOREIGN unemployment benefits without any US forms. Can someone advise please? Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You can report the Korean unemployment benefits as "other income" on Schedule 1 line 8z with a description that you enter. Here's how to enter it in TurboTax.

• In the Search box in TurboTax type "executor fees" (without the quotes), then click the link that says "Jump to executor fees." I know that's not what the income was for, but it's the best search term I could find that gets you to the right place.
  • The first screen asks, "Any Other Taxable Income?" Click Yes.
  • On the next screen, "Other Taxable Income," enter a short description such as "Korean unemployment" and enter the amount in U.S. dollars. Click Continue.
  • On the next screen click Done.
  • You may get a couple more screens with unrelated questions. Just answer the questions, or answer No if they don't apply to you.

Thanks.

I had asked about this last year elsewhere and I think people said to either put it as general miscellaneous income or put it as if I got a 1099-G or something so now there are 3 ways and I'm not sure what to do.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I don't know what the other two ways of entering the unemployment are. As long as it ends up on either line 7 or line 8z of Schedule 1 it's going to be okay. Entering it as if you got a 1099-G will put it on line 7, which is specifically for unemployment. But the IRS instructions for Schedule 1 say that line 7 is for unemployment that was reported on a 1099-G, and you don't have a 1099-G. Unemployment benefits that are not on a 1099-G, such as union unemployment benefits or private unemployment insurance, are reported on line 8z. So my recommendation is to follow the instructions that I gave you above. But if you're more comfortable doing it another way, do what you think is best. As I said, it will be okay as long as it ends up on either line 7 or line 8z of Schedule 1.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies